Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Margo's Bible Verses July 2nd

On this date, July 2nd, Margo was reading in Luke 14:1-6 titled, "Jesus Heals on the Sabbath" and in Philippians 1:8b-30 titled "Life is Christ, Death is Gain".

Margo didn't underline any verses but underlined some sentences in the commentary. To get the context I'll quote the relevant verses.

Luke 14:1-6
"One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched. There in front of Him was a man suffering from dropsy. Jesus asked the Pharisees and experts in the law, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath or not?" But they remained silent. So taking hold of the man, He healed him and sent him away.
Then He asked them, "If one of you has a son or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull him out?" And they had nothing to say."

Commentary: By healing this man on the Sabbath, Jesus was rejecting the Pharisaic tradition which did not allow for this.

Here's what Margo underlined:
"Showing mercy should always take precedence over a rigid keeping of rules."

Philippians 1:21-26

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me."

Here's what my dear wife underlined in the commentary:

"If you're not ready to die, then you're not ready to live. Once you know your eternal purpose, then you're free to serve--devoting your life to what really counts without fear of dying."

No comments: